The Mayor reminded council that the Pickens County Municipal Association Meeting will be held Monday October 28, 2013 @ 7PM @ The Rosewood Center in Liberty.
The Mayor updated council on a new grievance policy (which is required for grant applications)
• Prompt and equitable resolution
• Procedure for handling complaints
• Responses must be filed within 30 days
The Mayor mentioned that October was National Employee Disability Month
A City pay scale discussion …
• Councilman Lavant Padgett gave his findings and input on how City employees should get pay raises … top out at 4 years, mention that all city employees got a 3% raise this year.
October 14, 2013 Regular Monthly Liberty City Council Meeting …
Trent Acker from Alliance Pickens thanked the City of Liberty for their contributions to the commerce park and updated council on partnerships with Alliance Pickens.
"We are fortunate to have technical resources like the Career Center and Tri County Tech."
"We appreciate what Alliance Pickens is doing for the county."~ Mayor Michael Sheriff
Update on Fall Festival and television advertising campaign
Councilman Lavant Padgett suggested that at the tree lighting this year the City should feature the LHS football team and Liberty cheerleaders
He also suggested getting our oldest citizens involved: Bess Moon, Julia Woodson
Public Works / Water / Sewer Department report:
• Recycling on schedule
• 28 calls for service
• 66 calls for service
Police Department report:
108 warnings issued
78 citations issued
17 juveniles housed
total fines collected $14, 051.63
Calls for service: 181
Mayor noted that traffic citations were broken out this month ...
Seat belt: 10
Suspend license: 4
Fire Department report:
31 Calls for service in September 2013
Some of the reponses:
• 1 house fire
• 7 vehicle accidents
• Went to LES & Chastain to teach children about fire safety and the kids enjoyed it.
• Performed annual maintainance on trucks
• 4 or 5 months to completion of new station on Rice's Creek Rd.
Rec Department report:
Palmetto football playoffs start Monday / Note: 12u & 8u won and will play again Wednesday October 16, 2013
• Saturday November 9, 2013 SCAP football tournament
• Vandalism continues to be a problem at Freedom Park
-- Ripping sinks off wall and turning trash cans over
Mayor ... Seniors Group has-asked to be brought back to Rosewood Center after Pickens County Seniors Unlimited closes for good and dissolves.
Liberty Zoning & Planning Director, Richard Davis asked for The Liberty Monitor to publish these three quotes …
"90% of the people in Liberty don't like you!"
"If you put all your energy into your job, you'd be something fierce."
"I'm not a city employee, I'm a subcontractor, I don't have to answer your questions, you and I are enemies!"
(In reference to Philip Smith, editor of The Liberty Monitor)